If you’re looking for a lighter waffle option, these Lemon-Ricotta Cornmeal Waffles are a perfect choice. Made with cornmeal and ricotta cheese, they’re full of flavor but light and fluffy at the same time. And the addition of fresh lemon juice gives them a bright, zesty flavor that’s perfect for breakfast or brunch.
Light and fluffy, with a tangy twist of lemon and creamy ricotta cheese, these cornmeal waffles make for a deliciously unique breakfast or brunch option. Topped with pure maple syrup, crisp bacon, melted butter, and frozen berries, this recipe is the perfect balance of sweet and savory. Plus, it’s easy to make with just a few simple steps!
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup white sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp flour baking powder
2 tbsp lemon juice
½ tbsp salt
1 cup fine yellow cornmeal
2 tbsp lemon zest
¾ cup ricotta cheese
¼ cup unsalted butter melted
1½ cup half-and-half
4 pcs large Egg, separated
2 tsp vanilla extract
Pure Maple syrup
Crisp bacon strips
Mixing Bowl & Whisk
Beater – Electric or Manual
- Heat your best thin waffle maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions and preheat the oven to 200°.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients – ricotta cheese, half-and-half, melted butter, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice – until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients – all-purpose flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. Be careful not to overmix the batter.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter until just combined.
- Brush your waffle iron with non-stick cooking oil or cooking spray. Spoon the batter on the waffle iron and close the waffle iron. Cook until the waffles become fluffy and you get your desired crispiness.
- Serve them immediately with maple syrup, bacon strips, and melted butter. If not, transfer them to the cooling racks placed on the baking sheets in the oven.
Nutritional Info – Amount per Serving
- Calories 406; Carbohydrates 52.2g; Saturated Fat 16.6g; Protein 12.3g; Cholesterol 133.9mg; Sodium 622.6mg.