An easy and interesting recipe to make crispy and delicious blooming onion to delight your taste buds on a weekend evening without straining yourself. So, don’t forget to make this appetizing recipe for your family and friends today and savor it with your favorite sauce. 
Deep Fried Blooming Onion Recipe by Chef’s AdviceCourse: Appetizers, SnacksCuisine: Southern
- For Blooming Onion
3 large sweet onions
2 cups flour
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp thyme
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp ground cayenne pepper
- For Dipping Sauce
½ cup mayonnaise
½ sour cream
3 tbsp creamy horseradish
3 tbsp paprika
3 tbsp ketchup
3 tbsp garlic powder
½ tbsp ground cayenne pepper
3 mixing bowls
- Start with preparing the dipping sauce. Mix all the dip ingredients such as mayonnaise, sour cream, creamy horseradish, paprika, ketchup, garlic powder, and ground cayenne pepper in a bowl and place it in the refrigerator.
- Take another bowl that is deep enough to dip the onion in and whisk eggs in it.
- In another bowl make the flour mixture by mixing flour, paprika, cumin, dried oregano, thyme, salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Now remove all the dried and damaged peels on the onions and cut a flat spot on the non-root end of the onion. Place the flat bottom on the cutting board and make a clean slice downward starting ½ inch from the root. Next, make another clean cut by turning the onion one-quarter turn. Follow the same procedure with two more quarter turns.
- Now you have four equal clean slices down on the onion. Next, make three or four equal-sized cuts in each slice.
- Put the onion in the flour mixture and gently spread the flour mixture on the onion with your hands until it all gets breaded. Next, dunk the onion in the egg mixture and then again into the flour mixture.
- Preheat the pan and pour oil into it. Heat the oil up to 357 degrees. Place the onion in the heated oil root side up and deep fry it for 5-7 minutes. Drain on a paper towel.
- Repeat the same process with other onions and serve them with the dipping sauce to your family and friends.
- Recipe Note
- If possible, always use sweet Vidalia Onions.
- Use a heavy pan to fry the onions and try to maintain a temperature of 375 degrees. You can also check this article to buy the best omelette pan. You can use a candy or deep fry thermometer to measure the temperature.
- Try to use a deep and big pan, if possible you can also use a deep air fryer.
- Don’t crowd the frying pan, instead fry in batches for better results.
- Don’t leave the pan and stay close when frying because it will take only 5-7 minutes to turn deep golden brown.
- Store the sauce only for two days in the refrigerator. It would be better to not use it after two days. 
- Calories: 318 | Total Fat 17.7g | Cholesterol 48.1mg | Sodium 387.5mg | Sodium 387.5mg | Total Carbohydrate 33.9g | Sugars 8.2g | Protein 7g